Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Enthusiasm vs. Motivation, With The Winner Taking on Daily Reality

If you're wondering why the title is so long, it's because I'm overcompensating.

I started this blog on Friday, with the intention of writing something new everyday. Yet, it's five days later, and these words that are now being slapped into this post are the first I've written since.

That's depressing. Usually, my initial enthusiasm propels me a little further than the first damn day. It's like taking out a full page ad on New Year's Day, boldly proclaiming all of your resolutions, only to say, "Fuck it!" the next day, and continuing to do that thing in the park that you just swore you'd never do again.

I know it's somewhat hackneyed, but I do have an excuse. Actually, I have several excuses. I'll lay them all out, and let you decide. Feel free to pick one ~ or, mix and match! Perhaps you'll see a connection with a couple and arrive at an understanding.

My excuses for not writing sooner, arranged chronologically:

* I burned the roof of my mouth on pizza that wasn't even good, (and no, I didn't just steal that line from Julia Nunes. That's really what happened.) A large section of skin peeled off, and it hurts like hell.
* I woke up feeling very sick the next day. Cold, flu, 96 hour plague ~ whatever, it was nasty.
* Whenever I tried thinking of something to write, it went nowhere fast.
* There were two playoff games on Sunday.
* Monday I had to drive over 350 miles in the rain up to San Jose.
* As I was getting ready the next day to drive that 350-plus miles back home, I realized I hadn't brought a change of underwear.

So, maybe the last one isn't a valid excuse. By itself, dirty underwear isn't enough to keep you from writing. At least it shouldn't be.

Okay, now I'm beginning to think of ways how it could keep you from writing. And I really wish the thoughts would vanish from my head, because they're kinda disturbing.

Erase. Erase. Erase. Think pleasant thoughts. Erase the frightening.

That's better.

Quite often, the best laid plans of Day One can be thwarted by the realities of Day Two. But that doesn't mean that Day Three, or in my case, Day Five, should leave you drifting aimlessly. As Nietzsche said, "Shit happens. Shit always happens. That's life. Get over it and on with it." My aim is to write something new everyday, but reality may interfere and cause a slight delay. Oh well. Reality's been playing games with me for as long as I've known it, so that's really not all that surprising. So, I'm going to keep making plans. That's all.

And for the record, my mouth is still sore today, but I am in possession of clean underwear.

See? Reality isn't always so dismal. It might sting for a while, and possibly have a slight odor that only you can detect, but give it a day or two, and it will all work out.

3 comments:

  1. The only excuse I'm not buying is the playoff games. The Bears are out of it, so who cares? We don't even have the Packers to boo. I'm happy the blog is up and running. Now we will all have Patrick's rants in writing. And I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Publish a picture on your profile page would ya?

    ReplyDelete